[toggle expand=0 title=’UPDATE 2019-20 HONOR CHOIR SEASON’]
ACDA-MN Honor Choirs
Inspiring New Generations For Excellence
Thanks to the hundreds of ACDA-MN members who mentored their student singers through the state honor choir audition program. In 2019-20, more schools, more directors, and more selected singers participated in the seven honor choirs.
- 4-5-6 BOYS: 135 auditions; 96 selected
- 4-5-6 GIRLS: 428 auditions; 150 selected
- 7-8 TTB: 249 auditions; 155 selected
- 7-8 SSA: 428 auditions; 150 selected
- 9-10 HS: 1094 auditions; 144 selected in SSAA; 145 selected in SATB; 120 selected in TBB
TOTAL: 2334 auditions; 960 selected
Also, a BIG thanks to the ACDA-MN members who accepted the invitation to be audition screeners throughout the past school year. Screeners represented all singing levels and represented all geographic districts in the state.
Our Honor Choir leadership team offers outstanding support to our student singers and their directors throughout the year. Thanks to these co-chairs…
- 7-8 TTB: Reid Larsen and Brandon Nordhues
- 7-8 SSA: Megan Cox and Katie Irvin
- 9-10 SATB: Sarah Gilbertson and Chad Garrels
- 9-10 SSAA: Laura Odden Quaintance and Wendy Suoja
- 9-10 TBB: Jim Cox and Kyle Eastman
- 4-5-6 Boys: Erik Ekstrom and Deveny Beaton
- 4-5-6 Girls: Jennifer Hazen, Julie Conzemius, and Melanie McIvor
The 2020-21 honor choir season will feature all seven honor choirs with these guest conductors:
- 7-8 TTB: Lin Warren, Hastings High School (ret)
- 7-8 SSA: Shelly Schaeufele, Waukee (IA) Community Schools
- 9-10 SATB: Kyle Fleming, Regis University, Denver CO
- 9-10 SSAA: G. Phillip Shoultz, VocalEssence
- 9-10 TBB: Greg Douma, Eastview High School, Apple Valley
- 4-5-6 Boys: Henry Leck, Indiana Children’s Choir (conductor Laureate)
- 4-5-6 Girls: Karen Howard, University of St. Thomas
Special thanks to outgoing 4-5-6 Boys’ Co-Chair Jennifer Ulven and 4-5-6 Girls’ Co-Chair Jennifer Hazen for their outstanding leadership over the past several years.
4-5-6 Boys’ Co-Chair
4-5-6 Girls’ Co-Chair
Look for more information about the exciting 2020-21 honor choir season posted via The Weekly Pulse and Star of the North.net Fall issue later this summer.
[toggle expand=0 title=’ACDA-MN ELECTIONS RESULTS’]
WELCOME NEW LEADERS
The annual ACDA-MN elections yielded the naming of new leaders to the State Board of Directors, each assuming their positions on July 1, 2020.
Two Year Term 2020-22
Minnewashta Elementary School, Minnetonka
Central District Chair
Three Year Term 2020-23
Big Lake High School
Southeast District Chair
Three Year Term 2020-23
Pine Island Public Schools
We wish to thank the following outgoing board member for his outstanding leadership and service to our organization over the past three years:
Central District Chair
Annandale High School
[toggle expand=0 title=’THANKS TO OUTGOING R&R CHAIRS’]
THANKS TO OUTGOING R&R CHAIRS
After several years of faithful service and leadership, ACDA-MN bids farewell and says a special thank you to the following members, who have served as Repertoire & Resources (R&R) Chairs:
R&R Youth Choirs Coordinator (2016-20)
R&R Coordinator and Chair for
Youth College/University Choirs (2016-20)
R&R Chair for Minnesota Composers (2016-20)
R&R Chair for SSAA Choirs (2016-20)
Among the duties of these dedicated servants was to screen titles for Summer Dialogue reading packets, provide resources for the Pick Six repertoire articles, and provide leadership in developing interest sessions and special performance events for Summer Dialogue and State Conference.
[toggle expand=0 title=’2020 SUMMER DIALOGUE’]
A message from ACDA of MN Executive Assistant Kristin Kivell
Signed: Paula Holmberg, Summer Dialogue Program Chair,
ACDA-MN Vice President
Diane Heaney, ACDA-MN President
Stephanie Trump, ACDA-MN President-Elect
Acting out of an abundance of care and concern for our member community, the ACDA-MN Executive team is announcing the cancellation of the 2020 Summer Dialogue. We will be very eager to see you in 2021, for a year’s worth of saved-up sharing, in-person dialogue, relevant topic and reading sessions, All-State Choir observations, exhibits fair and the Director’s Chorus!
The ACDA-MN leadership team seeks to discern how to meet your most urgent and sustained needs. As a result, we anticipate that a variety of on-line and virtual sessions will be offered over the next several months. In addition, we are working with our music vendor partner JW Pepper-Minnesota, to provide all Summer Dialogue reading packets with on-line access.
Please stay tuned for these and other updates to be communicated by email, the Weekly Pulse, social media and on our website at acda-mn.org.
As we consider all of these new opportunities for professional development and growth, we welcome your suggestions and feedback for topics and sessions that you would like us to develop.
[toggle expand=0 title=’FMC SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS’]
FMC SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
Scholarship applications to attend the ACDA-MN Summer Dialogue are now available at:
Scholarships will be awarded in these categories:
- Full (registration and 3 nights of on-campus housing) @ $419
- Partial (registration only) @ $279
- Recent college/university graduate or members in their first two years of teaching
Members attending their first Summer Dialogue regardless of years of experience
Application due date is May 15, 2020
Other recent FMC scholarship awards have been award to:
2020 ACDA Regional Conference – Milwaukee WI
- Brad Beale – Foley Public Schools
2020 Graduate Study
- Douglas Carnes – Royal Irish Academy of Music (DMA)
- Chad Garrels – University of St. Thomas (MA)
- Jonah Heinen – University of Oregon, Eugene (MA)
- Nicholas Hollermann – University of St. Thomas (MA)
- Michael Jeffrey – University of St. Thomas (MA)
- Chris McGinley – University of Minnesota (DMA)
- James Wolter – Eastman School of Music (DMA)
2020 Alice T. Larsen Memorial Scholarship
- Jaclyn Schmeichel – University of St. Thomas
2020 State 9-10 High School Honor Choir
- 7 scholarship awards
2020 State 4-5-6 Boys and Girls Honor Choir
- 6 scholarship awards
2020 NextDirection Choral Leadership Conference
- Jake Hansen, Brainerd High School, Brian Stubbs, advisor
- Ally McNutt, Robbinsdale Armstrong High School, Stephanie Trump, advisor
The 2019-20 academic year produced these total scholarships and amounts. Thanks to hundreds of ACDA-MN member and non-member donors, scholarships were awarded in these categories:
- 2019 Summer Dialogue: 8 scholarships @ $2,870
- 2019 Summer Dialogue Student Conductor: 10 scholarships @ $1,546
- 2019 State 7-8 Honor Choir: 5 scholarships @ $620
- 2020 State 9-10 Honor Choir: 7 scholarships @ $868
- 2020 ACDA Regional Conference: 1 scholarships @ $1,000
- 2020 Graduate Study: 7 scholarships @ $12,800
- 2020 Alice T. Larsen Memorial Scholarship: 1 scholarship @ $1,500
- 2020 State 4-5-6 Honor Choir: 6 scholarships @ $744
- 2020 NextDirection Leadership Conference: 2 scholarships @ $700
2019-20 TOTAL: 47 scholarships @ $22,648
[toggle expand=0 title=’STATE CONFERENCE’]
Singing Through the Ages
Check your calendars now for the weekend of November 20 & 21, as ACDA-MN makes plans to produce the annual State Conference located at St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church in Mahtomedi.
Over twenty interest sessions targeting our membership, who direct choirs at the elementary, middle school, high school, college/university, church, community and professional levels, will be programmed.
Special Conference Festival Events are as follows:
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 20 – Singing Through the Ages: Lift Every Voice and Sing
A special Music and Worship Event featuring:
- Dr. Anton Armstrong, St. Olaf College – Artistic Director and Conductor
- Mark Hemmingway, Trinity Lutheran Church, Long Lake – Festival Coordinator
Music Ensembles Appearing:
- St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church Senior Choir, Mahtomedi – Jan Gilbertson, conductor
- Minnehaha Academy Singers, Minneapolis – Karen Lutgen, conductor
- The Bethel Choir from Bethel University, St. Paul – Dr. Merrin Gill, conductor
- Prince of Peace Lutheran Church Brass Choir – Dr. Joshua Becker, conductor
- Bill Chouinard, organist, St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church, Mahtomedi
A commissioned piece for SATB Church Choirs, organ and brass, is being written and will be conducted by Minnesota composer Ralph Johnson from Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Edina.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 21 – Our Story • Our Song
The Impact of Choral Singing Upon Our Special Needs Senior Communities
Featuring these invited ensembles and leaders:
- Music for Life – Jeannie Brindlee Barnett, conductor (sponsored by MacPhail Center for Music)
- Sage Singers – Joey Clark, conductor
- Vintage Voices – Rob Graham, conductor (sponsored by VocalEssence)
- Voices of Experience – Jerry Rubino, conductor (sponsored by Minnesota Chorale)
- Voices of Impact – Bruce Phelps, conductor
Conference Chair and ACDA-MN President-Elect Stephanie Trump has endorsed a way to involve choirs representing all seven districts of the state. This past winter, each District Chair was given the charge to personally invite choirs to appear on the conference performance schedule. The result will again be a fascinating celebration of a diverse group of conductors who have inspired their students to excellence in performance from all geographic corners of the state.
While the Friday performance schedule will be filled with district geographic choirs, the Saturday morning concert schedule will be filled with auditioned choirs submitting online auditions via Opus Events. Auditions are due June 1, with notification by July 1.
Click to access online audition site:
[toggle expand=0 title=’2020 ACE AWARD NOMINATIONS’]
2020 ACE AWARD NOMINATIONS
The Advocate for Choral Excellence (ACE) Award is offered annually to Minnesota community citizens who make a difference by their advocacy and support for choral music in their communities.
Since 2008, awards have been presented to administrators, community choral directors, church choir directors, accompanists, piano instructors, school board members, parent booster clubs and organizations, parent volunteers, arts advocates, community organizers, music store vendors, and ACDA colleagues.
Contact your ACDA-MN District Chair for candidates to consider in your geographic area:
Central Michael Sellheim: firstname.lastname@example.org
Metro East Amy Johnson: AmyB.Johnson@ahschools.us
Metro West Chris Larson: email@example.com
Northeast Richard Robbins: firstname.lastname@example.org
Northwest Dwight Jilek: email@example.com
Southeast Michael Jeffrey: firstname.lastname@example.org
Southwest Chad Felton: email@example.com
Deadline to receive applications is on or before June 1, 2020
[toggle expand=0 title=’FMC 150th ANNIVERSARY CONCERTS’]
FMC 150th ANNIVERSARY CONCERTS
Two special Identical choral concerts scheduled for November 21, 2021, (2:00 and 6:30 pm) will feature these six distinguished Minnesota choirs celebrating the 150th birth anniversary of F. Melius Christiansen, the father of a cappella choral singing in America and founder of the St. Olaf Choir.
The Augsburg Choir • The Concordia Choir-Moorhead
The Christus Chorus of Concordia University-St. Paul
The Gustavus Choir • The St. Olaf Choir • The National Lutheran Choir
In addition, the choirs will perform the world premiere of a new piece commissioned for this event by American composer Rene Clausen.
The Christiansen choral music legacy continues to be a guiding force for ACDA-MN and the endowment fund named in his honor. All proceeds from the event will be used to ensure the vitality of choral music in Minnesota by providing direct financial support to promising Minnesota choral directors and their students wishing to further their training and experience. Since 1996, $287,557 in scholarship funds have been awarded to 501 Minnesota choral directors and their students thanks to the supporters of ACDA-MN and the FMC Endowment Fund.
[toggle expand=0 title=’THANKS TO SON EDITORIAL TEAM’]
THANKS TO SON EDITORIAL TEAM
Special thanks to these ACDA-MN members who have inspired and led the development of the Star of the North.net during 2019-20
Peter J. Durow
From Age to Age
Youth Chorale of Central Minnesota
Blaine High School
United Methodist Church, Anoka