All Are Welcome!
Check your calendars now for the weekend of November 16 & 17, as ACDA-MN makes plans to produce the annual State Conference located at St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church in Mahtomedi. Over twenty interest sessions targeting our membership who direct choirs at the elementary, middle school, high school, college/university, church, community and professional levels will be featured.
Conference Chair and ACDA-MN President-Elect Diane Heaney has created a new and innovative way to involve choirs representing all seven geographic districts of the state. This past winter, each District Chair was given the charge to personally invite choirs to appear on the Friday afternoon performance schedule. The result is a fascinating celebration of a diverse group of conductors who have inspired their students to excellence in performance.
These are the choirs who have accepted the invitations of their District Chairs:
- Forestview Middle School 7th-8th Grade Boys’ Choir, Brainerd
- Marcus Aulie, conductor
- Michael Sellheim, District Chair, Annandale High School
METRO EAST DISTRICT
- Hearts in Harmony, Parkview Elementary School, Roseville
- Carrie Krause Uwadiae, conductor
- Chad Garrels, District Chair, Mahtomedi High School
METRO WEST DISTRICT
- Schola Cantorum, Basilica of St. Mary – Minneapolis
- Teri Larson, conductor
- Jeff Dahl, District Chair, Wayzata High School
- Ordean East Middle School Choir – Duluth
- Sheila Shusterich, conductor
- Jerome Upton, District Chair, Duluth East High School
- Hawley High School Concert Choir
- Carly Grandner, conductor
- Michael Culloton, District Chair, Concordia College-Moorhead
- Kasson Mantorville High School Choir
- Andrew Faller, conductor
- Maria Wilson, District Chair, Ellis Middle School, Austin
- Worthington High School Concert Choir
- Kerry Johnson, conductor
- Seana Graber, District Chair, Luverne High School
While the Friday performance schedule will be filled with these choirs listed above, the Saturday morning concert schedule will be filled with auditioned choirs submitting online auditions via Opus Events. Auditions are due June 1, with notification by June 15.
Click to access online audition site: http://acda-mn.com/state-conference-concert-performance-application-2018/
As a special feature of the State Conference weekend, ACDA-MN will take time during the Saturday afternoon festival concert slot, to honor the legacy of David C. Dickau, choral composer, conductor, teacher, and leader from Minnesota State University-Mankato.
David C. Dickau
Choirs appearing in that exciting festival event are: Magnum Chorum, Musicorum, the Northwestern Choir from the University of Northwestern-St. Paul, and two women’s choirs from Robbinsdale Armstrong and Stillwater Area High Schools. Each choral ensemble will sing a program that features at least one of Dickau’s compositions. In addition, Dickau will compose a new commission especially created for this occasion. Closing the celebration will be the entire assembly singing one of his most cherished works “If Music Be The Food Of Love”.